We were given a 2 week task to present a piece/pieces from one of our many techniques that we had done over the past 6 months of study at college. After days of worrying and stressing about what I should do for my mini piece I decided to go with book illustrating due to me enjoying illustrating and also sketching is a very strong aspect for me, Also I enjoyed the illustrating workshop we did with Soo (one of our college tutors). Were we chose a book that we were either interested in or one of our favourite childhood stories to develop into our own illustrations .I decided to go with one of my favourite childhood stories which is ”Guess how much I love you.” It’s a very sentimental book that I hold dear to my heart.
I decided that I didn’t really want to start a whole other book so I decided to develop the book that I did in my illustration workshop ,The Guess how much I love you story and I wanted it to develop the illustration in the book because i felt like the illustration were very messy and weren’t displaying my capability the best and that the quality of some of my pages weren’t really up to standards I was happy with. I took a couple of pages and decided to re-illustrate them. I played around with the 3D element a little more in this book then the book I did at the beginning of the year. But that became on issue later on when I was trying to create the actual book.
Issues that I faced? And how I solved the issues?
The first issue I had was on deciding what I was going to do which is a common occurrence in many of the brief that we have done in the past, were I tend to over think that task given and the time I spent over thinking and panicking is crunching into time that I need to create the actual end project. How I could solve the issue? Don’t overthink the project ,go with what my gut is telling and if something doesn’t work it helps me develop as an artist and to learn and develop from my mistakes.
My second issue… Was the fact I could close the book due to certain pages were to thick and had more pieces popping out making the pages not able to close without braking the illustrations. Which I wasn’t exactly happy with because it took away the book aspect and became more of 3D theatre not exactly what I wanted. It would have been interesting to carry on the story to create a series of the theatres. If I managed my time better I maybe could have figured/experimented with playing with page sizes making sure each page was the same size and the page that pops out creating the 3D aspect is a smaller size than the actual page.
I had to figure out how to display my piece due it not be able to be present the piece as an actual book. I decided to glue the four pages together and then use garden string to attach the four pages together making them more secure. I probably should o f used a ribbon or wool to create a more of a neat finish also it would have been interesting to maybe add beads/jewels to the string again given it more of a presentable clean finish.
Another issue I faced was the paper I used. On a couple of pages I used water-colour and due to me paint over the watercolour multiple times the paper started to curl and becoming weak , causing some of my illustrations to break easily. I should have used thicker paper maybe card or even watercolour paper.
When presenting our piece/pieces to class we had a group critique and her are the comments given by a few of my classmates.
Super duper cute with a very soft and gentle aura. Could see it as a professional baby book with merchandise. Love the idea of hanging.
I like the way Rebecca solved her issue of the book not closing by making it something you hang up. Would be cool to see a series of these
I take an on board what my classmates say it would be interesting to create a series of the children books and creating merchandise for example teddy bears, t-shirts and more would be really exiting .I think this is something I’m going to consider to for my FMP piece.